Friday, January 20, 2012

Getting Caught Up to Florida

I wanted to first share with you one of the prettiest sunsets I have seen. I took this picture on the 18th outside of Jekyll Island, South Carolina. This scene rivals the spectacular sunset I witnessed this past summer around mid-night in Homer, Alaska. I do not know if I have ever seen the sky so blood red before. My dad declared that he thought it was the best sunset he had ever seen!
I was hoping to capture the sense and feel as we drove over the great suspension bridge that same even. What do you think?
I am not the only one that enjoys bicyling...
A feisty little crab no more than two or three inches a across was set for a fight
We know we are getting south when we run across Spanish Moss
Downtown Beauford, South Carolina
The town developed a real nice park that locals enjoy including swings looking out east across the inlet. We stayed at a campground on one of islands to the east, perhaps 15 miles to the east.

I have to slip in pictures like this every once in a while. Floyd, "Pops" enjoys another time at the beach. Shells are his favorites now.
I didn't doctor this picture, really. I just caught the reflection of the sun off of the window above. This is a working lighthouse and open to the public.
Evening strolls on the beach including strolling through old forest soon to be claimed by the ocean. It is estimated that the whole of Hunting Island may be taken over by the ocean within 60 years, with the Fripp Island to its south expanding by similar size.

This gentleman with the metal detector has been vacationing and scouring these beaches for the past seven years. He gave to me directly from his metal basket a 50 mm shell from WWII when the marines strafe the beaches practicing their shoot. To conserve metal, only the tip was solid brass; the rest of the bullet was sheathed over wood.
A Palmetto Palm's last stand and another reminder of the changes afoot on these barrier islands

Next entry, Florida!!! Today's temp, 74F. Just think, if we were back in Fairbanks, their present temperature is -26F. No wonder we headed to the opposite corner of the US.

No comments:

Post a Comment