Tuesday, January 24, 2012

St. Augustine Florida



Rich with history, a long history by North American standards, St. Augustine is what I had imagined it would be. Old world charm, splendid architecture in the old part of town, and many interesting sites and museum abound. Too many to see during one visit, so we have been selective with price in mind.

We visited the pedestrian-only St. George Avenue and using a written guide I purchased at the city's visitors center I led our party of three on a walking tour replete with vignettes of history as we walked by more than 20 historical structures.
Flagler College, a beautiful campus

Dad enjoyed his tour of the Castillo de San Marcos fort, pretending to be a gunners mate and then someone in trouble and thrown into prison.
Did I say he was a ham???
Here are a couple more pictures from the town
Low tide, watch the mud!
The oldest wood school house in the United States

Saint Photios Shrine - A Greek Shrine with a strong history in St. Augustine
The claim here is that the oldest Orthodox Christian church is located here. The man who hosted the shrine was eager to research whether this is in fact, since on our trip this past summer we heard the same claim from a Russian Orthodox church in Kenai, Alaska.
I have enjoyed taking pictures of the various birds that make the beach their home. I was surprised to find the Lesser Tern, an endangered specie of bird,
huddled here between some gulls.

The sunsets around here are just wonderful!!! This photo was taken today just as dad and I were leaving the beach. He went shell hunting and I took a seven mile bike ride.

Once again, I hope you enjoy the blog. Good night.

No comments:

Post a Comment