Sunday, January 8, 2012

Wilmington, Carolina Beach and Southport North Carolina


Pulling up stakes, we headed down SC Highway 17 intent to spend some time on Carolina Island and the surrounding area. The USS North Carolina, a WWII battleship, now a floating museum in Wilmington, was one destination I didn't want to pass by. We decided to tour the Battleship before going to the RV park on Carolina Island. I suspect that I am not the only person who has a constant interest with anything associated with WWII, now heightened by my Kansas City visit to the WWI memorial this past November.
Of course, each ship we tour dad has to check out the dentist's office.


Yes, there was a lot to see and read, but one of the things I notice are the unusual, like this door latch. What a feat of engineering in itself.

Surgery table, two at once???

I liked Carolina Beach, its island and the surrounding area.

A short ferry ride to Southport was also well worth it. Southport would be good living, charming and friendly. I took my bike with us and I very much enjoyed riding through its streets looking at its historic homes and its sea views. I even came across a boat that sunk, an outline still visible years later.





Carolina Island beaches were some of our best shelling collecting area so far!

I will say "goodnight" with this parting picture. Next entry will take us to Myrtle Beach, New Year bonfire, and who knows what!

No comments:

Post a Comment